Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Want To Save Some Dough? Non Edible Money Savers!

Alright, so we all grow for different reasons. Some for survival, and some for sport. Some people grow plants strictly for profit. Other people grow their food for its nutritional value in their specific diet.

However, how come edibles take all the glory when it comes to backyard growing? What about non edible cash crops?

Here are three plants you can grow right NOW right HERE in South Florida to save that cash:

The first one on my list is technically an edible plant, however its non dietary use is what I'm mostly interested in. I am talking about Luffa plants:



I'm sure you've seen these before. They are usually sold in stores with some sort of handle:


The best part is that they are easy to grow and produce plenty of fruit.
My newborn Luffas
My biggest fruit right now


Luffas are vines so you can get creative twining them (Luffa can grow to 30')
Luffa growing on pergola

Luffa growing on chain-link fence


Luffa will be ready in about 150-200 days from time of planting. That is really fast!

 Young gourds are edible and some people love them ( I don't). To create sponges let the gourds mature until they feel lighter and the skin looks brown or dark yellow.

Making a sponge out of the gourd is a matter  of peeling off the skin and shaking the seeds out (don't throw them, save some for future sowing). Cut your Luffa into more manageable slices and use it to shower with, scrub dishes,wash your car, you get the idea.

Random fact:  Luffas are part of the cucumber family.


My next non edible cash hero is perhaps the most popular item on the list. I speak of Aloe Vera (yes technically you can also eat Aloe):


Part of the succulent family, Aloe Vera has been attributed with many uses. While many of the so said benefits are controversial, as a South Floridian I can attest for its effectiveness  treating sunburns. It also works great as a makeup remover, or a moisturizer.

My Own Slimy Resident

And finally, on to the last plant on my catalog. You might not like this one. It takes 10 years for the tree to mature from seed. It is still however, my favorite plan on the list. Allow me to introduce you to Soapberry( Sapindus Saponaria):


As the name implies Soapberry is used to make soap. It is still used daily in some countries like India and southern China. In our own country it is mostly used by penny-pinchers like myself or fans of all-that-which-is-organic.

The more I read about this magnificent tree, the more I fall in love with it, I am now growing more Soapberry trees than I know what to do with:


Whatever your reason is for joining the backyard grower movement, I can almost guarantee that you will feel that awesome "holy s%#t, I just harvested my own food" feeling. It will never get old. But why? Could it be in our very own DNA to enjoy a bountiful harvest? After all, we've evolved from folks who relied on agriculture for survival. Do we maybe enjoy a good harvest because we all run our crops through imaginary cash registers? I love to picture my own savings as I shop in my backyard supermarket.

Keep on learning!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicolas, where did you find/get your soapberry seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deitra! While I had a very tough time finding the actual soapberry plants on local nurseries, the seeds are easy to find all over the internet.

      You can try doing a Google search for soapberry seeds, and then click on the shopping link.

      Delete