Sunday, December 21, 2014

How to Make a Luffa Sponge with Handle



Well it is the end of December and other than tomatoes and strawberries there is not a lot going on around my garden right now....or is there?

There is this project I have been pretty excited about. Growing my own sponges!
In the Perez household sponges have become something like absorbent gold.  In between car washes, showers and dishes there is no doubt that sponges are one of those commodities that I buy as often as toilet paper.

Luffa is a plant that is used as a sponge, I mentioned it on a previous entry. Click on this link to check that out.

So how long does it take?
Here in South Florida about 2 months!

Here are my seedlings which I planted on Sept 24.
Aren't all newborns cute?
By October 13 I had my first fruit!!!
 





So then I waited:
November 4th

December 6th
So today I judged that they were ready. You will notice the skin starting to turn yellow and stem drying off:




You can then just peel the skin off:

 

And shake the seeds out:
I just bumped it against this table until all the seeds came out.

Now you can cut into whatever shape you want:
The cone shaped end piece makes a great sponge to clean your bong with...err I mean tobacco pipe..


Notice on the pics above that one of the pieces is white.  You can bleach your luffa for that effect, or just let it keep its natural color. If you do bleach it, only do it for a short time of your luffa will become very saggy:




Ok so to make the handle I took a bamboo stem and cut it into three even pieces. Then I guided the sticks through the three hollow cavities that all luffas have inside.:

Ok so I got the luffa part down, now my handle is another story. I still need to get a handle on that, lol pun obviously intended...

I taped the sticks with water resistant tape, and tied a knot on the top end with a piece of polyester rope to keep the sponge from sliding out. 


Finally I hang the sponge in our bathroom and hope the wife doesn't throw it out.




So I don't make the most attractive sponge handles, but I do hope I have inspired some of you to grow your own sponges!

As always, keep on learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment