Sunday, October 5, 2014

Organic Pesticide Recipe

So your garden is growing and looking great when all of a sudden Wham! Bugs everywhere...eating away all your hard work. Don't get so mad. Take it as a compliment. Apparently you weren't the only one who thought your garden hosted a delicious menu.


With a lusciously green garden will come the bugs..

Today I'm going to give you my own organic insecticide recipe. There are a few and I hear good things about several of them but this is the one I've been using with great results. I specially like that you can grow all your ingredients in your own backyard. Talk about being self sufficient!


I recently found a few caterpillars eating away at my pole beans:


I didn't freak out, I know that if I spray them quick enough I can get rid of them rather easy.

So here is the stuff you need:

Spray Bottle:
For a small garden a 12OZ bottle will probably be sufficient. I needed a bit more

Peppers ( the hottest you can find!)
You can grow these and save money!

 And garlic:
Also very easy to grow

As an optional step you can add a bit of powder cayenne pepper and stir.

Then let the mixture sit for about a day. This step will allow the water to absorb more spice.

 Finally, strain your solution:
Straining is important.You don't want to clog your spray bottle.

You will need something to stir the solution as it will be quite thick:
Don't throw away the remaining pulp. You can apply it around your plants for additional treatment.

You can now spray your plants, remember to stir the solution before as the water will slowly separate from the pepper mix. 

I spray the plants and then spray again after 2 days. After the second application I look around the plants and decide if a third application will be necessary. Most of the time 2 applications is all it takes for me.

Beans looking great a few days after being sprayed.

Don't be afraid to get creative with other methods if you have different ingredients. Soap is also very commonly used. Use the organic kind if possible.
And as usual, keep on learning!




No comments:

Post a Comment