Thursday, June 25, 2015

My Tomato Harvest- The Number Game

So tomatoes are one of those crops that every gardener seems to want on their garden. I did too.

I had one hiccup only really... The neighborhood birds. Every time a couple would ripen..the feathery thieves  would come in and sample them. Behaving as fine tomato samplers, they only sample a piece out of each fruit, as if looking for the perfect one.

perfectly good tomato ruined by birds.


So I came up with a plan. I wanted to overwhelm the wild life with more tomatoes than it could handle. Hopefully after they had their fill there would be some left for me . Seeds are cheap anyways...

It worked..

Space wasn't a big problem for me. I don't have a huge backyard, but Tomatoes seem to like a wide array of soils. So go ahead and plant them around the perimeter of your property. Preferable if they are by a chailink fence that they can lean to for some support.





 I planted my seeds around October to give my plants time to grow during the colder South Florida weather. They don't seem to like the hotter  Florida months as much.

At this point I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves. I think it is safe to say that my local birds are ultra sick of tomatoes. The best part is that they have spread the seeds around so now I find that tomato plants are coming up virtually all over my property like weeds. Whenever they end up in a good spot I let them stay,.Bird assisted crop rotation!

oh yeah!

folks at my office were love my cherry tomatoes!





Haha now I'm just showing off.






So what's the lesson? Don't be so greedy dude...

No comments:

Post a Comment